Author Topic: biofilter media  (Read 3495 times)

Offline LynnKLea

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
biofilter media
« on: August 14, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »

I want my bio filter in my pond to be self sufficent in controlling algea. I can not afford the additives that the garden centers are pushing! Also the reason I bought a bio filter was so I could have a chemical free pond!!

Our pond is 14'x20'x 28" deep and holds 4500 gallons of water, with a 3' high waterfall that flows into two 15' streams. It has a "PS4500 Atlantic Water Gardens Skimmer with 8" Opening, and a BF1500 Atlantic Water Gardens Up Flow Bio Filter with 19" Weir" that is run with a "CalPump PW4500 High Capacity Waterfall Pump".

Our skimmer with the pump, pushes the water around the pond up to my waterfall and biofilter. I also have at least 60 % surface water coverage with plants because the pond is always in full sun.

My problem is I  can't decide on which filter media to use in my biofilter. I've tried lava rock, forget that, it just plugs up and causes more problems! I would love to use the Savio Spring- Flo media but the price is prohibitative.

I read some where on this site of some one using the  round floor scrubbers that goes on the floor cleaning machines.  For $7.00 apiece I bought (2) 20" black ones. Then after I had paid for them the sales clerk told me "The other day a man came in for the pads for his pond and he bought the white ones."

So I also bought (1) 20" white one  for another $7.00 that was much coarser and thicker than the black pads, with the intention to try both kinds for comparison. Especially since I read that if the pads are to thick they will clog up like the lava rock does, which is the reason for me getting the black ones in the first place, at least I could see through them.  Can someone please tell me how thick and dense of scrubbing pad to use? Even if I knew which color has been used with sucess it would help, I think.

I also I heard that that a lady has been using 10 yards of tolle (material) from a fabric shop in her bio filter for the past 5 years and her pond water is clear all of the time. This also sounds like a workable solution. What do you all think?  Thanks for your kind assistance.

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
Re: biofilter media
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 09:31:01 PM »
Lynn, in my small pond at my work I have a home made skippy filter, I use a material called dura cool pads. Out here in the desert we have units called "desert coolers" or "evaporative coolers", the dura cool pads are one version of the media that is used in these units. I have cut up the roll into small 2x4 pieces and used them in the skippy for the last year, they work great!! We can purchase the pads at our local hardware stores here in the desert, but depending on where you live you may need to order them online, here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/DIAL-MFG-3078-29x144-Duracool/dp/B0007XCO90

Let me know if you need anymore info or a few pictures..

Greg

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »
Greg so you are talking about cutting them into 2" x 4" little squares right? How do you clean them when they are clogged or do you have to? If I put them in my filter that is just a big black plastic pot with holes drilled in the sides that has my pump in the middle w/ the hose coming out of that and going to the waterfall would those work? Right now I have the bigger pieces of hard plastic fibrous stuff fitted in there really tight so it can't float out but I have to clean those pretty much each month. I guess I would have to come up with some kind of lid to keep the little type of squares from floating out too like a screen or something. It just seems like it would be harder to clean all those little ones than just a few big ones. Let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks jw

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:49:23 AM »
Janice, you are correct, I cut the roll up into small 2x4 pieces. I have had to clean them once, I removed them, hosed them off, and put them back into the skippy. My plan is to throw them away when I clean the pond this fall and put a new set of pads in. I believe they would work great in your pot, just pack them is as you are already doing with your current media, that should keep them from floating out. Attached are a few pictures:

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 11:30:06 AM »
Thanks Greg  :). What does it accomplish to cut them up? Does it do the same thing just to leave them in large big flat pieces?

Offline -Greg-

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »
Just a little more surface area for the gunk to grab onto as each small piece now has 4 sides. In reality, it probably does not make a big difference...

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »
Okay, thanks Greg for the help.

Offline Otter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »
Potscrubbers are another favorite.  They have more surface area for their volume than most filter media used in ponds.  Unfortunately, the entire world seems to be waiting for the Chinese to make a new batch.  The last time I checked, all the wholesalers were out of stock, and the local dollar store was out too.

And then there's package strapping.  This is Springflow's DIY grandfather.  Sometimes you can find it on ebay for $15 a roll.  Be sure to get the embossed kind as it will have more surface area than the smooth finish.
http://www.quinn-packaging.com/images/large_thumbs/strap_large.jpg

Here's a good article that discusses several different types of filter media.
http://www.wernersponds.com/biofiltermedia.htm

Offline ghall

• Members
  • With us since: 12/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
Janice, you are correct, I cut the roll up into small 2x4 pieces. I have had to clean them once, I removed them, hosed them off, and put them back into the skippy. My plan is to throw them away when I clean the pond this fall and put a new set of pads in. I believe they would work great in your pot, just pack them is as you are already doing with your current media, that should keep them from floating out. Attached are a few pictures:

Greg
what is the purpose of that green pipe coming out of the tee on top of your skippy? I'm about to try my hand at making one and looking for ideas

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
i use washable air condition filter at walmart or home depot.....its 3.77 a large sheet at walmart and 5 something at home depot....it holds the pond about 4 to 7 days depending how merky the water is..it does keep the water clear....i also use clay every 4 to 5 days in the water....
lorraine

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »
i use washable air condition filter at walmart or home depot.....its 3.77 a large sheet at walmart and 5 something at home depot....it holds the pond about 4 to 7 days depending how merky the water is..it does keep the water clear....i also use clay every 4 to 5 days in the water....

Lorraine, you put your clay in a sock I think from previous postings I've read but I didn't know it had to be changed that often to keep the water clear also or free of algae? How much do you use every 4 - 5 days? And do you set it so the waterfall can run on it or does that really matter? Do you keep doing it during the winter?

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
no i put about 2 cups depending on the size of your pond.mine is 1100 gallons..i put it in a bucket and add the pond water (not tap) mix it up then pour it in the pond...whatever is circulating it will go through..i have never had string algae and i live in louisiana...i put it in once a week...i also every now and then put my koi food in the  clay watered bucket to soak a few minutes then give to the fish,it helps they're digestive system... :)
lorraine

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
no i put about 2 cups depending on the size of your pond.mine is 1100 gallons..i put it in a bucket and add the pond water (not tap) mix it up then pour it in the pond...whatever is circulating it will go through..i have never had string algae and i live in louisiana...i put it in once a week...i also every now and then put my koi food in the  clay watered bucket to soak a few minutes then give to the fish,it helps they're digestive system... :)

But the clay you have must dissolve completely I assume so if I use kitty litter clay I would have to strain the pellets that are left or they will just sit on the bottom of the pond or would that hurt to just leave them on the bottom? I'm thinking it would get gunky and then I'd have to clean with a net?

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »
Lorraine,
  You are talking about koi clay?? It's good stuff.
Kay

Offline lorraine1960

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 01:10:54 PM »
yes koi clay
lorraine

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 11:49:13 AM »
JW, for what it's worth, I have a LARGE amount of kitty litter sitting on the bottom of my pond directly below the waterfall (from an accidental spill). It has been there for months and is not gunky. I was going to clean it out when the water cleared and I could see it, but  never did. I am pondering keeping it in until I clean in the spring. It has not collected any muck at all; the water flow from the falls won't allow anything to settle there. I can reach in and grab a handful of clean wet litter that isn't even very clumpy. I figure with water flowing past it, it is very slowly dissolving into the water (probably not enough to do much good but not worth the effort to remove it.
Bryan

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 01:42:05 PM »
Thank you Bearb, I will keep that in mind and not worry about it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"