Author Topic: Woodstock  (Read 6467 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Woodstock
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »
It is the anniversary of the Woodstock music festival. Three days with no violence and two babies were born. Was anyone here at Woodstock?

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Woodstock
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:34:39 PM »
Not me. I was barely allowed to go to school.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »
Dang I wanted to be there....................I was 8 months pregnant and if I went I would'a ended up in one of those medic tents delivering my baby girl in the mud  :-\. I did get to go to the Sky River Rock Festival here in August of 1968 and that was fun.............sorta..............I won't go in to detail as it was a long time ago before I was a ................never mind  :(.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=5425

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »
Born in 67..  I might have been there I never asked my parents.lol

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »
Asking who attended Woodstock is like asking who was present in the ballpark to see Hank Aaron break Babe Ruth's home run record.  The official attendance record at that ball game was around 54,000 but were you to poll Americans today you likely would have a couple million people say, "Yepper, I was there and saw Hank hit #715."   {:-P;;

As I recall, the summer of '69' I had just graduated from high school and I was working to earn money for college in the Fall and I also was rebuilding the engine of my newly purchased 1955 Chevy BelAir.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 07:14:36 AM »
Nope, only in spirit  O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 07:16:21 AM »
Nope I wasn't born yet   ;)....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 07:18:52 AM »
Man that was like 20 years before I was born...BTW what is woodstock?
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »
Woodstock was a 3-day outdoor music festival held about this time in NY at a time in American history when there was a great deal of internal turmoil due to the Vietnam war as well as other things.  This time in our history was near the peak of the "hippie" era.  There were some 30+ bands playing at Woodstock and a crowd much larger than expected turned up.....some half a million people.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »
Speaking of hippies, did you know that Squeaky Fromme was released a couple days ago?  :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 08:26:34 AM »
What a nut-case she was...... I least I hope it is past tense.....was.....  That's something else that was occurring in 1969.....the Charlie Manson murders

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 08:33:20 AM »
Cute story:  (8:-)
Jamie and I were going to a plant sale a couple weeks ago at our favorite herb farm.
I saw pots of Patchouli on sale, and asked Jamie to rub her fingers on the leaves and sniff her hands,
without telling her what it was. She did it, looked up at me and said, "GREAT mom, now I'm gonna smell like a hippy all day!"    ::)
Even 13 year olds know what hippies smell like.  lol lol lol
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 09:09:41 AM »
Omg half a million people that must've been something crazy... :D..and at the same time cool..
Hahha do hippies really smell?

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
Omg half a million people that must've been something crazy... :D..and at the same time cool..

They smelled like weed smoke and incense. I was incarcerated at the time but would have loved to have been there.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 09:17:33 AM »
Actually at times hippies smelled worse than incense and weed especially indoors in large enclosed groups  @O@

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 09:23:53 AM »

They smelled like weed smoke and incense. I was incarcerated at the time but would have loved to have been there.

When you say weed you mean weed as a drug or anytype of weed?
Were you a hippie?

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:28:20 AM »
Howell, at the time Woodstock took place I was 14 and I was locked up in a reform school for possesion of drugs. When I got out I did grow my hair out and would have been labeled a hippy but still bathed daily. When I said weed I did mean marijuana, the late 60's and early 70's was a time of a lot of drugs being used. I just happened to be a part of that crowd at the time.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »
Bullfrog... was that some kind of juvies or so?..well I may say this time is still of a lot of drugs been used too so..one time I heard that the real hippies were the one that just wanted peace and not all of the other..may guess those were the ones that became greenpeace... lol..but yeah I have a lack of knowledge in this since I did not even know how the 80's were like..

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »
Bullfrog... was that some kind of juvies or so?..well I may say this time is still of a lot of drugs been used too so..one time I heard that the real hippies were the one that just wanted peace and not all of the other..may guess those were the ones that became greenpeace... lol..but yeah I have a lack of knowledge in this since I did not even know how the 80's were like..

The Texas Youth Council ran a state reform school for juveniles for many years, some boys there weren't even 12 years old. We were tested upon arrival and separated into different units by our age, education and violence level. I was on the Sycamore Unit, a high school unit of moderate violence. High school level of a high violence potential went to the Terrace unit. Hilltop was the big but uneducated ones, elementary education level.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »
Howell:  More trivia....  Dr. Timothy Leary was a psychologist who coined the phrase "Turn on, tune in and drop out".  He was an outspoken advocate for the use of the psychedelic drug LSD and an icon of the counterculture of the 1960s.  LSD was one of the favorite drugs for those attending Woodstock.  Leary died several years ago and as I recall he had his ashes blasted into space where I suppose he is now part of the space debris being tracked by NASA....

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »
Hey Mikey I remember that song "Timothy Leary's dead.............no, no, no he's outside looking in" .....................ah the 60's a time of revolution, war, peace, love, drugs etc.
When I was 18 I left home and grew a pot plant from seed and it was a very pretty plant growing in my bedroom window. My mom came over once to visit and saw that lovely plant and said "oh my that is so beautiful, can you grow one for me"? I said er ah ok..............and I did and gave her the lovely plant which she placed in her home on a table for all to see. She went to one of those fairs where they have those booths that tell about what to look out for on drugs and there lo and behold was an exact replica of her lovely plant that I gave her. All I can say is it's a good thing I no longer lived at home  @O@

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »
Seems there is a lot for me to read then I am going to go and investigate about it...they never tought me this in my american history class...though..
We found a pot plant while walking thru the woods...this was the firts time and the last one I saw one pot plant.

Thanks all for the info, I guess if it was not for this forum, I just was not gonna know all about this..

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
Howell:  More trivia....  Dr. Timothy Leary was a psychologist who coined the phrase "Turn on, tune in and drop out".  He was an outspoken advocate for the use of the psychedelic drug LSD and an icon of the counterculture of the 1960s.  LSD was one of the favorite drugs for those attending Woodstock.  Leary died several years ago and as I recall he had his ashes blasted into space where I suppose he is now part of the space debris being tracked by NASA....

LSD was a very interesting drug and my drug of choice back in the day. They did a lot of controlled experiments with it because of it’s broad spectrum of effects on the brain and the senses. Normally a person has 5 senses, taste, smell, touch, hearing and sight. Up to 13 senses were recorded while under the influence of LSD.

For example a person could feel the texture of window screen or sandpaper with their eyes or if a tree waved in the breeze, you could actually feel every leaf shake as if you were a part of that tree. Normal surfaces such as a pile of sand took on geometric shapes like a very intricate doily which were very complex and continued to grow from the center.

The military was interested in it because people recorded out of body experiences and they were curious to see if it could be used for spying or as a truth serum. Dr. Lilly actually did LSD in a tank with dolphins and the results are very interesting. http://www.psymon.com/psychedelia/articles/lilly.htm

I know that once I clearly understood dogs barking at night and could understand what they were saying. It is an interesting drug. I studied a Mexican Yaqui Indian philosophy for several years, they regularly used psychotropic plants to heighten their awareness and in a lot of their ceremonies.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »
I do recall some of that bullfrog... there are some natives down here that travel from some place to another and while they are traveling they do it under the influence of a drug call peyote and while under this influence they draw what they have had dream.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
Ahhh... peyote. This cactus produces an alkoloid that is very potent. The buttons that the bloom will come from are trimmed off. You then sprinkle some powdered sulfur on the wound to help the cactus heal and apologize to the plant. The buttons are then dried in the sun and then are chewed until they become a fibrous pulp. The spirit of the plant Mezcalito will appear to you and whisper a secret word to you. His lips will become enlongated like a trumpet as he whispers this word in your ear. From that moment on you use that word to summon Mezcalito whenever you chew the buttons so he will become your ally. The buttons serve as a vehicle to give you the speed that you need to catch a glimpse of this changing, fleeting world.

Many native cultures used plants and revered them. Our culture does not accept this and instead embraces alcohol.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »
Hey Felipe don't leave us hanging....  What were the dogs saying?

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 03:20:46 PM »
Hey Felipe don't leave us hanging....  What were the dogs saying?

I was still living at home with my mom so I had to step out on the porch to smoke a J. This really enhanced the LSD and brought on more hallucinations. When I finished it, I wanted a cigarette so I reached for my pack. Across the street, in a backyard two doors down I heard a dog say “Don’t! Don’t smoke!”

I heard what he was saying so clearly that I yanked my hand back. I looked across the street and knew that he couldn’t see me but this didn’t surprise me at all. The Yaqui philosophy that I was studying taught that all of nature is in effect one big living entity. So intertwined with each other that we were in fact, one big being or consciousness in a way. I knew that he knew exactly what I was doing or thinking even though he could not see me.

The rational part of my brain said “C’mon Felipe, it’s just the acid. There’s no way that dog knows that you want a cigarette, he can‘t even see you.” So again I tentatively reached for the pack. As soon as my hand left my lap he spoke again, plain as day. “Don’t! Don’t smoke!” It really astounded me. The rational part of my mind was struggling with what I had been studying so it soon became a quick contest.

I reached quickly again and even before my hand moved an inch now two dogs chimed in, then three. Soon, every time I tested them every dog in the neighborhood was chiming in. I thought “This is nut.” So as I continued to test them rapidly, the barks became very clear, no kidding.

“Oh! Oh now that you can understand us, you want to test us? Think you are smarter than us?” It was just a series of barks that differed in pitch, tone and frequency but at that moment in time I understood every word they were saying.

Pathetically I whined… “I just want a cigarette! Leave me alone!” Finally I lit up and they all calmed down. Behind my house was a huge swamp. One frog would croak to be answered by two. Then three, then five. Each sound left you waiting for the next sound. It became a rhythm as hundreds then thousands of frogs and crickets all began a huge rhythmic song. It captured me, I could not move other than to resonate with this huge, rhythmic song. It crested or climaxed, then died off only for one frog to croak, then two and start it all over again.

All of my world was in harmony, the critters were singing in harmony when suddenly from way back in the swamp their tone changed from a joyful singing to cries of alarm. The cries of alarm were getting closer and louder. Something was coming toward me. I could clearly hear the panic as it approached as thousands of frogs and insects cried out.

I leaned forward in apprehension, something evil was approaching and I didn’t know what it was. As it quickly came up right behind my house I saw what can only be described as a black artillery shell flying very low and fast through the house and across the street. It’s altitude wavered slightly but it was moving very fast and the dogs a block away sensed its approach and began barking wildly.

I was able to track it’s progress through town by the alarmed barking of the dogs until it went out of earshot. I don’t know what it was, but it wasn’t good, it was evil. Soon things calmed down and a frog croaked. A cricket joined in right on time, then three then hundreds, then thousands and life was once again good. I could feel the leaves on the trees shaking in the breeze. But I still wanted a cigarette.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
Ahhh... peyote. This cactus produces an alkoloid that is very potent. The buttons that the bloom will come from are trimmed off. You then sprinkle some powdered sulfur on the wound to help the cactus heal and apologize to the plant. The buttons are then dried in the sun and then are chewed until they become a fibrous pulp. The spirit of the plant Mezcalito will appear to you and whisper a secret word to you. His lips will become enlongated like a trumpet as he whispers this word in your ear. From that moment on you use that word to summon Mezcalito whenever you chew the buttons so he will become your ally. The buttons serve as a vehicle to give you the speed that you need to catch a glimpse of this changing, fleeting world.

Many native cultures used plants and revered them. Our culture does not accept this and instead embraces alcohol.
But mezcal is alcohol...not a drug at all..or guess I am lost.
My dog talks to me and says feed me...please...hahah I always seem to forget.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »
Howell, Mezcal is indeed a form of alcohol, it's kind of like tequila with it's pants down. My favorite Mezcal is Hornitos made by Sauza, you do it in a shot with some salt sprinkled on the web of your hand between the thumb and forefinger and a slice of lime. You lick the salt off first then do the shot. As soon as you swallow it you bite into the lime wedge to take your mind off of the liquid fire that is going down your throat. I have started skipping the lime as all of that acid can give you indigestion the next morning. I don't currently need or take Viagra but three shots of Hornitos works the same way.

Mezcal is also a slang term for mescaline. Mescaline is the synthetic form of peyote, a mild hallucinogen much weaker that LSD but still pleasant in it's own right. Psylocybin mushrooms were also very popular at the time and they grew and were free for the picking. I picked 3 pounds in 30 minutes once. Mushrooms were even milder than mescaline, you could snap while on shrooms if you had to but not mesc or LSD.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"