Author Topic: Introducing the Queen in her hot tub!  (Read 4641 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Introducing the Queen in her hot tub!
« on: August 16, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
This is where the story of my Victoria Cruziana will contnue.

Introducing! The Queen and her Hot Tub!

The hot tub is on temporary legs for now until I build the panels to take their place.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing the Queen in her hot tub!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:44:18 PM »
Well I guess anything that holds water will get the job done  O0. Those pads are humongous  8-)~

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
That's very funny! I have an empty tub sitting around, I should do what you did!

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
Scott, what a cool idea  O0 Will you use some sort of filter system too? I see you have a preformed pool, just like mine! Only, mine had holes in the bottom of it so now it is housing maters. I intend to sink it into the shallow part of the pond, and use it for bog plants :)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:08:15 PM »
Good idea  O0

I love those pads  o(:-)... any buds yet?

bonnie

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
Hi Bonnie,
I just love your siamese with the butterfly wings o(:-) I have an old gal, she is about 11. just as spry as ever :)

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 06:46:37 AM »
Scott that is great. Your doing a great job. And the neatest thing is you have grown it from seed and not bought a plant or had someone send you a plant. This way it means so much more.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:10:17 AM »
Scott is it just me or that looks like a bud is coming up...
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:57:16 AM »
Very nice...are you heating the tub?

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:25 PM »
OMG, I just snapped to what you meant by "hot tub."  I had been envisioning, oh, say something about 50 gallons, and wondering how a Vic. could grow in there.  Now I realize it's a HUMAN-SIZED hot tub.    The plant's really going to GROW!!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »
Well I guess anything that holds water will get the job done  O0. Those pads are humongous  8-)~

The preform in the background is where I had her but there wasn't enough room. The pads were already climbing up the sides of the preform.

That's very funny! I have an empty tub sitting around, I should do what you did!

Holldoll, my rule of thumb is,"If it holds water, it's good enough for a pond."

Scott, what a cool idea  O0 Will you use some sort of filter system too? I see you have a preformed pool, just like mine! Only, mine had holes in the bottom of it so now it is housing maters. I intend to sink it into the shallow part of the pond, and use it for bog plants :)

Tootsie, not a filter as such but I'm trying to figure out some sort of fountain to put where that hole is. I can place the pump in the hole and run the tube and cord up to the fountain. Just as long as water doesn't splash onto the pads.

Good idea  O0

I love those pads  o(:-)... any buds yet?

bonnie

No buds yet, Bonnie.

Scott that is great. Your doing a great job. And the neatest thing is you have grown it from seed and not bought a plant or had someone send you a plant. This way it means so much more.

Thanks Vickie.

Scott is it just me or that looks like a bud is coming up...

That's a new pad, Howell, not a bud. :)

Very nice...are you heating the tub?

Sue, the temps are warm enough here that I don't need to heat it. I may insulate it when I put the panels on and lay glass on top for the Winter. If I can figure a cheap way to heat the water in the Winter, I will.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
my Vic still behind yours
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »
Hi Bonnie,
I just love your siamese with the butterfly wings o(:-) I have an old gal, she is about 11. just as spry as ever :)

Thank You , I lost my poor old Siamese cat at the ripe age of 17 ..2 years ago ...
I put this picture on my profile in memory of her .

bonnie

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »
WOW Scott!  Them are some huge pads, I've seen then in some of my pond books but never anywhere else.  How much does a plant like that cost?  I can't wait to see it with a bloom or two, are they huge like the pads? 

I'm also like you, anything that will hold water will work.  I have an octagon tub out of a trailer house, an old tub (like clawfoot, minus the claws) a preform and others. 

Keep up the good work, looking good!!!!!!!!!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 08:59:36 PM »
Scott you are awesome they all look awesome and even that one was not a bud I still love that victoria..
I still have no idea how you do it...you grow them from seed right?

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 07:45:20 AM »
How would they do here?  We get very light frost and seldom.
If they die back, will they be viable in the spring?
Love the look.  Great job!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:49:29 PM »
Fantastic job!  Love the lily and the humongous pads but have no room.  I do have a spa no one uses but what will DH say when I take the gazebo down and turn the spa into a pond?  (Jerry, is there a smiley getting its neck wrung?)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Re: my Vic still behind yours
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »

Vickie, yours isn't to far behind mine and looking good. What are those two pads to the left of the Victoria?

WOW Scott!  Them are some huge pads, I've seen then in some of my pond books but never anywhere else.  How much does a plant like that cost?  I can't wait to see it with a bloom or two, are they huge like the pads? 

I'm also like you, anything that will hold water will work.  I have an octagon tub out of a trailer house, an old tub (like clawfoot, minus the claws) a preform and others. 

Keep up the good work, looking good!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Tonya. That plant came from a seed the size of an sweet pea that cost me nothing. I plant to get some more seed from Kit the next seed exchange.

Scott you are awesome they all look awesome and even that one was not a bud I still love that victoria..
I still have no idea how you do it...you grow them from seed right?

Yep, I started it from seed, Howell. By-the-way, Howell, I have a green thumb, if you haven't noticed. 8)

http://www.victoria-adventure.org/more_than_links/guillermo_bathtub_victoria.html

Vickie, I was thinking of that as Victoria was getting bigger. :)

How would they do here?  We get very light frost and seldom.
If they die back, will they be viable in the spring?
Love the look.  Great job!

Jerry, unfortunately they are an annual in our zone and I'm thinking that you are also in zone 9, right? The good thing is, if it blooms and pollinates, you will have a cup of seeds. This seed came from Walter Pagels, not sure if you know of him, but he lives in California somewhere. If they will grow in his pond, they'll grow in yours. If you have a greenhouse, you might get it to last through the Winter in there but they are not fun to move around. I'm planning on insulating the hot tub after I put the skirting on and lay two sliding glass doors on top to see if I can get it to survive the Winter. If you want seed, the next seed exchange is in November. Just go to Victoria-Adventures.org.

Fantastic job!  Love the lily and the humongous pads but have no room.  I do have a spa no one uses but what will DH say when I take the gazebo down and turn the spa into a pond?  (Jerry, is there a smiley getting its neck wrung?)

Thank you, Annette. Go ahead, convert the hot tub. Don't tell him until he slides down in there with the vegetative porcupine. lol lol lol

Again, thanks everyone for the comments.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
Scott the lily to the left is either an all blue immutabilis or a blue gigantia. I will know for sure when it blooms. It has 2 buds coming.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »
Well, Vickie, I tried to hold it in as long as I could to see if yours could catch up with mine but I can't hold it in any longer. Here is an updated pic.

Yep, it's going to bloom. Not only that, there are two other buds below this one. Maybe you should show this pic to yours. It might take the hint. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 07:22:38 PM »
 @O@ @O@ @O@  I want to see something purdy!!!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »
Congrats Scott you are one of my fav..seedling growers of all time....
I love your victoria.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
Thanks Howell.

Annette, by the looks of things, tonight is the night. I will get out there with the camera first thing tomorrow morning. This is what it looked like this afternoon.

If you notice the ripples, I took this pic with one hand while holding the umbrella with the other. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 07:41:38 PM »
Scott I am so happy for you. Mine is hanging on but our cool nights do not do it any good. We have had as low as 50*F. I have mine in a thermoplanter. I think it might hang on I will be lucky if I get to see it boom.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »
That looks nice. Every time I see a hot tub (on sale, or at a home center), I think of what to grow in it. I was in a hot tub once and hated it. The water was too hot and I could feel my blood pressure dropping to a very uncomfortable level. Definitely not for me. Add some plants to that sucker and I love it.

All you need is to dress up the leaves with some tea cups and pastries (anyone remember that famous photo?). In my case it'd be a steak.  ;)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 08:54:26 PM »
Scott sorry I never saw that you reply saying that you have a green thumb what was that for?
Still not getting it...
BTW  @O@ we want some pics when it opens...

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 05:17:41 PM »
Howell, when a person can grow anything, from seeds or cuttings, they are said to have a green thumb. Both of my grandmothers had green thumbs and my dad. My maternal grandmother loved African violets and she had them everywhere. She also grew vegetables and canned and froze fresh veggies every year. My paternal grandmother grew mostly outdoor flowers, including poinsettias, and veggies. I've grown veggies before but when I was a kid, I grew peanuts and popcorn. It was fun.

I will have the pics after while, after I go get the 2nd night shot tonight. Maybe even a few other night bloomers while I'm there. ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
Okay, here they are.

This is the first night's bloom.

And this is the second night. It is more of a solid pink. Maybe I can get a better pic in the morning.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2009, 07:13:52 PM »
Scott that is beautiful? Did it smell like pineapple?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"