Author Topic: anacharis  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
anacharis
« on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »
How do you keep your fish from eating it all up? Or do they leave it alone for the most part?

I heard koi eat it & I'm getting ready to receive some.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: anacharis
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »
You buy massive amounts so the little pigs can't keep up with it..................that's what I had to do  >:(-. If you can find RadMichelle she prolly has lots she can give you for a good deal  ;D. She's been missing lately tho and we miss her  :'(.

Offline Missa

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
Good tip. I'm getting some from a trade, so I don't know how much it'll be.

Yea, last time I saw her she was offering salvinia & such ... I sent her a pm but she disappeared.

Offline Amy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
My fish don't seem to bother it at all, I have small koi and goldfish. What I have in my pond has not done well this year at all but when I had it in the indoor aquariums the stuff was crazy! It just grew and grew and grew, I had it in african cichlid tanks. They nibbled on it but it grew so well they couldn't wipe it out!

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
Did you have lights to simulate daylight?  I would like to find something to put in my inside pond with the cichlids but it only gets a half hour of direct sun but lots of bright light. 

Offline Amy

• Members
  • With us since: 31/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:43 PM »
nope, no special light inside, just the normal tank lights. That is the thing, we did nothing, thats why it was so suprising it grew like it did! My husand started calling it the psychadelic crazy plant since it grew so much!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »
I heard that hornwort is better than anachras, since koi won't eat it.  However, my koi have started eating even that, and besides eating it, they leave little teeny bits that get caught in the pump and clog it.

So now I keep my submersible plants in a mesh basket, that can float around in the pond, but the fish can't get to the plants.

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
I heard that hornwort is better than anachras, since koi won't eat it.  However, my koi have started eating even that, and besides eating it, they leave little teeny bits that get caught in the pump and clog it.

So now I keep my submersible plants in a mesh basket, that can float around in the pond, but the fish can't get to the plants.

What do you mean? Do you float your submersible plants (hornwort, anacharis, etc) in a floating basket?

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
Julles I may just have to try that mesh basket idea as my goldfish are eating my anacharis like crazy  >:(-.  How big are the holes in the mesh? Or maybe I should get some hornwort somewhere  ;D.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »
Too bad this discussion wasn't last week - I pulled LOADS of hornwort out of my pond.  I tried to get rid of it all actually, but there's probably some in there....   I'm going to do a clean-out in my upper pond, and if I find some I'll keep you in mind if you like.  I just put lots of lilies in and they were getting strangled by all the submerged plants.  Now for some reason my pond is all kitty-littery so I have go get in and find out what pot(s) are seeping  ::)  At least there's no algae  lol

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
Too bad this discussion wasn't last week - I pulled LOADS of hornwort out of my pond.  I tried to get rid of it all actually, but there's probably some in there....   I'm going to do a clean-out in my upper pond, and if I find some I'll keep you in mind if you like.  I just put lots of lilies in and they were getting strangled by all the submerged plants.  Now for some reason my pond is all kitty-littery so I have go get in and find out what pot(s) are seeping  ::)  At least there's no algae  lol

If you find that you have enough I would love some and if you don't have any now keep me in mind for when you do  @O@. Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:08:37 PM by jw »

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 05:03:12 PM »
I used the black plastic screen that's made for screen porches.  I had some black styrofoam pots / planters, and cut them into rings, then used fishing line to sew the baskets and attach them to the rings.

In another scenerio, I used PVC pipe, and made a rectangle "corral" and sewed the screening onto that.

Two winters ago, I had TONS of hornwort, about 12"-18" deep across the entire surface of my pond.  I guess that the fish eventually learned they could eat it, because I can't keep it in the pond anymore.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
Jonna, anacharis does better in low light. I have mine in a barrel with a small floater growing on top and the anacharis is so green, dark, and lush. I had a mosquito fish in with it but haven't checked lately.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 05:53:17 PM »
OK, then I'm going to pull the remaining few stragglers in my outside pond and put them inside and see how they do.  They are dying for sure outside in the sun.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »
I used the black plastic screen that's made for screen porches.  I had some black styrofoam pots / planters, and cut them into rings, then used fishing line to sew the baskets and attach them to the rings.

In another scenerio, I used PVC pipe, and made a rectangle "corral" and sewed the screening onto that.

Two winters ago, I had TONS of hornwort, about 12"-18" deep across the entire surface of my pond.  I guess that the fish eventually learned they could eat it, because I can't keep it in the pond anymore.

Ok so the baskets just float on the surface of your pond not down deep under water sitting on the bottom? How deep do you make the screen go down under water to form the basket?

Now I gather the PVC corral just sits on the floor of the pond right or does it float also with the top open or closed?
And it doesn't hurt to have the whole top of the pond covered w/ the floating hornwort or anacharis?
I'm gleaning all this good info for future project making and I'm excited. I'm gonna beat those little piggies at their own game  @O@
I'll be nice and give them some now and then  {:-P;;

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
Jonna, anacharis does better in low light. I have mine in a barrel with a small floater growing on top and the anacharis is so green, dark, and lush. I had a mosquito fish in with it but haven't checked lately.

Now see I didn't know this either and mine is out in full sun on the plant ledge. Maybe I should just throw it on the bottom of the pond (3&1/2 feet deep) under the floaters  :-\.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »
i didn't plant ours..just let turned it loose in the pond,and the stuff that made it to the bottom of the deeper areas does seem to be doing good. I'm wondering if it will survive the zone 5 winter?
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline KatFish

• Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »
I've had anacharis before, and one year it did fine, one year it all died.  Although I think it may have been more the koi playing lawnmower than the winter.  Kind of hit or miss.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 06:13:02 AM »
i didn't plant ours..just let turned it loose in the pond,and the stuff that made it to the bottom of the deeper areas does seem to be doing good. I'm wondering if it will survive the zone 5 winter?

Well I have read that it is hardy to zone 5 but if the stuff freezes at all it is toast so if you have a deep pond............say 3 or more feet deep it might do ok  :)

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »
If it survives the trip .... got stuck in the PO for the weekend .... unless it's lost. :o

The last time I received a priority package it took 5 days or so to get here .... with correct address & everything.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"