Author Topic: Victoria Longwood  (Read 4694 times)

Offline janek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria Longwood
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 06:27:45 PM »
Tim you have got me extremely interested!  I really want to try my hand at learning how to grow one.  I need to spend the winter reading up.  Do I have a chance to give one a try here in Massachusetts?  What is the easiest Vic to try first?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »
Janek, I'm not Tim but I can tell you my point of view. V. cruziana was easier than I thought it would be but it has to be pampered a bit until it gets to size. I have mine in a 5-gallon pot and the pads got up to 28" in diameter. It has a spread of 8-10' and if you are not careful, you can rip other lilies pads apart with the Victoria pad. Also, keep band-aids and peroxide near by as the thorns are sharp. Tim, Vickie, and myself are the ones that I know have grew them this year in this forum. Me and Vickie grew V. cruziana and Tim grew the Victoria hybrid, "Longwood" which I think he said was more tolerable to the cooler temps. I'm going to try "Longwood" next year as it has that nice burgundy underside that shows on the rim.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline janek

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 06:09:08 PM »
Thanks Scott - I definately want to try to grow one.  Got to take the challenge.   Any good places to find good information on growing these?  Where is the best place to get either seeds or starter plant?

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »
If I may jump in here, without a doubt the best place for information on Victoria cultivation is to be found at the web site www.victoria-adventure.org .  Plan to spend some time there, as there is so much info to absorb.

What you will also find there is the form you can use to request free Victoria seed....you just have to pay for postage.  The seed is pedigreed...the only such seed in the country...and yours for the asking, assuming you are willing to abide by some restrictions on use.

Should you be looking for plants, the site also has a list of growers/retailers that sell plants certified to be true to type and you are provided with the lot number so you can trace their lineage.  This eliminates the risk of getting mislabeled plants or F2 generation plants being passed off as 'Longwood Hybrids', or worse.  Once again the site is the only one offering sources for certified, pedigreed plants.

Hope this helps.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 05:35:11 PM »
Yeah, what Craig said. :)

Thanks Craig.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline janek

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 07:29:37 PM »
Thanks so much!  That's exactly the info I was looking for.   I have spent the last 8 years absorbed in growing live marine coral, plants and fish in my reef tank which has been a science in itself.    Now I'm  really looking forward to this new challenge!  I'm going to check that website out- read as much as I can and earn that vic seed! 

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2009, 08:17:21 PM »
Janice, the next seed will given out sometime in November. So while you wait, read, read, read! That's what I did.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline janek

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 07:26:18 PM »
Thanks Scott - I've registered on the site and spent a few hours there so far. I noticed that the seed form isn't available until November so that will give me time to read up. 

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »
Janek, you registered for the mailing list? That's great! There is some great info there plus some great folks. Like me! ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"