Author Topic: From pygmy to giant...  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
From pygmy to giant...
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »
The pygmy....Nymphaea pygmaea...started from seed in April, making seed pods already!

Waterlogged lilies, overcast day...

My new Pitcher Plants...got all three for $6 at a end of season sale!

After TS Danny, water level raised over a foot...the giant Euryale ferox is blooming underwater...6 buds and blooms altogether.  :D

:)

And another giant, the Castor Bean I grew from seed, and hubby Bill who is 5' 9".

And my shadow Gigi....watching me as I take pix...

8)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:46:49 AM by Joyce »
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: From pygmy to giant...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »
Will your Castor bean freeze to the ground this winter and return next spring?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »
All are beautiful!  

Gigi is darling, so little and petite!  

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
Thanks Holldoll!  :)

Mikey, nope, the frost kills them dead. :(
I'll save all the seeds I can get off these, (I have about 30 plants scattered around my gardens) and plant more clumps next year.
This year I simply pressed seeds into the ground in a triangular pattern, 3 seeds per clump, about 18" apart, here and there, hoping the deer would nibble. (sinister laugh)
The seeds that don't end up getting planted next year will be ground into powder and added to my home made deer repellant.  &-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Holldoll

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »
Mikey, nope, the frost kills them dead. :(
I'll save all the seeds I can get off these, (I have about 30 plants scattered around my gardens) and plant more clumps next year.
This year I simply pressed seeds into the ground in a triangular pattern, 3 seeds per clump, about 18" apart, here and there, hoping the deer would nibble. (sinister laugh)
The seeds that don't end up getting planted next year will be ground into powder and added to my home made deer repellant.  &-)

hmmm. . . I might need to plant these around the border of my yard.  Does it really kill the deer or just keep them away?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 03:02:46 PM »
I had a tortoise that died from eating a castor bean seed(s).  It was a horrible thing to watch. 

A turtle won't show signs of poisoning (or many other illnesses, for that matter) for quite a while, in part because they have such slow metabolisms.  But once the poison is in the system, it's doing its damage, and by the time you notice that something is wrong, there is nothing you can do.  So he died a very slow and miserable death, stretched over some weeks, all because I had to have the lovely castor bean plant (which stays alive all winter here in Houston) out along the side of the house, and some of the seeds fell into the yard where the tortoise was.

Joyce, how do you grow those pitcher plants?  Are they in water, bog, soil, or what?

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
For all those thinking about adding a Castor bean plant (One of the loveliest of tall archetectural plants) note that the Castor bean plant is the source of one of the deadliest poisons known: Ricin.  Even one bean ingested by a child will likely result in death.  While this is no problem for gardeners like Joyce and me who are aware of this attribute, a novice gardener should take precautions that the seeds are unavailable to small children who may be prone to putting the attractive "beans" in their mouth.  If you have children less than 6 years old it may be best to delay enjoying this plant until your children are older.

Oh, and by the way, Joyce, Wonderful pictures as usual!

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 04:20:54 PM »
Thank you for pointing that out Johns. That's why I don't grow it at all. Too many kids and pets around.
Julles: So sorry about your tortoise. They are wonderful creatures and actually do have neat personalities. I watch real closely what ends up in the tortoise pen.
Joyce: Beautiful pictures as always.
Kay

Offline Holldoll

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
Thanks for the warning! I have both a child and dogs that love to nibble on everything they find on the ground. I won't be planting those anytime soon! I'll just enjoy Joyce's pictures!

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
Very nice pictures, Joyce!

I have grown castor bean plants every year in a large pot on my second story deck.  That is how I can control who has access to them, plus I can see the wonderful tropical looking leaves and flowers from my kitchen and familyroom.  Unfortunately the very heavy rains we've had constantly this summer took a toll on the large leaves and most are gone now.  But  I took these pictures 2 days ago for a gardening forum to show the difference between the flowers and the seed pods.

The very prickly seed pods

I know how toxic this entire plant is, but what I do not understand is... why do so many lip balm companies use ricin in their ingredients?  I have 3 here that I did not allow my daughter to use - it says right on the back of the card they come in... "WARNINGS: NOT TO BE EATEN - USE ONLY AS DIRECTED - FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY - (etc)

So ok - lip balm goes on the LIPS, right?  And if one is wearing it while eating, SOME of it is going to be ingested, right?  And some people lick their lips when they are feeling a bit dry...  I just don't understand why so many companies use this ingredient?  These particular ones are made by the tootsie company - they are Junior Mint flavored, and some other candy flavors.

Offline Joyce

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
Lynn, I have no idea why, but thanks for the heads up! :o
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:00:19 AM »
V
I know how toxic this entire plant is, but what I do not understand is... why do so many lip balm companies use ricin in their ingredients?  I have 3 here that I did not allow my daughter to use - it says right on the back of the card they come in... "WARNINGS: NOT TO BE EATEN - USE ONLY AS DIRECTED - FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY - (etc)

So ok - lip balm goes on the LIPS, right?  And if one is wearing it while eating, SOME of it is going to be ingested, right?  And some people lick their lips when they are feeling a bit dry...  I just don't understand why so many companies use this ingredient?  These particular ones are made by the tootsie company - they are Junior Mint flavored, and some other candy flavors.

That's a new one. Wow. My daughter was given a package of lip gloss that has a big lead warning on it, but it was a no-name brand. I wouldn't expect that from Tootsie.

I grew Castor bean plants for a few years and saved the seeds. Last spring I walked into my garage and found my son jumping up and down on the ziploc bag with the seeds.  :o That was it for me.

I made him go take a bath, washed the shoes, and threw the bag away.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"